Spicy Vegetable Stew with Dhal
Preparation Time: 25 minutes (plus 2 hours soaking)
Cooking Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
3/4 cup yellow split peas
2 inch piece ginger, grated
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 red chili, seeded and chopped
2 TB oil
1 ts yellow mustard seeds
1 ts cumin seeds
1/2 ts garam masala
1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
3 slender eggplants (aubergines) cut into 1 inch pieces
2 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/4 cauliflower, cut into florets
1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
2 small zucchini, cut into 1 inch slices
1/2 cup frozen peas
Making the DHAL
1. Place split peas in a bowl, cover with water and soak for 2 hours.
2. Drain. Place in a large sauce pan with ginger, garlic, chili and 3 cups of water.
3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes (until peas are soft).
Making the Vegetable Mixture/Putting it all together
1. Score a cross in the base of the tomatoes, soak in boiling water for 2 minutes, then plunge in cold water. Peel the skin away from the cross. Remove seeds and roughly chop.
2. Heat oil in large sauce pan. Cook the spices over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add the onion and cook 2 minutes. Stir in tomato, eggplant, carrot and cauliflower.
3. Stir in the dhal puree and stock and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes. Stir often. Add the zucchini and peas during the last 10 minutes of cooking.