Creamy Lowfat Pesto
Recipe makes 1 cup of sauce, which is best mixed with 1 pound of cooked pasta.
4 garlic cloves UNPEELED
3 cups fresh basil leaves NO STEMS of BUDS
1 oz Parmesan cheese, grated (1/2 cup)
1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1 shallot, minced
2 TB olive oil
salt and pepper
1. Toast the garlic in a small skillet over med. heat for 7 minutes. Shake pan occasionally.
2. Transfer garlic to plate and let cool; peel off shell and chop.
3. Place basil in gallon size ziploc bag. Pound with meat pounder or roll over with rolling pin until basil is slightly bruised (a little brown in places).
4. Place garlic, basil, parmesan cheese, ricotta, shallot, oil, and 1/2 ts of salt in food processor and blend for about 30 seconds.
5. Transfer to mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Add to your favorite cooked pasta and Enjoy!