Steamed Sole Bundles with Vegetable and Tarragon
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
1 pound thin asparagus, cut tough edges off
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch matchsticks (approx.)
1 red onion, halved and sliced
2 TB unsalted butter, softened
3 TB minced fresh tarragon or dill
1/2 shallot, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 ts lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
salt and pepper
8 small skinless sole fillets
2 lemons or oranges, sliced thin
1. Fit a large Dutch Oven with a steamer basket. Fill the pot with water until it just touches the bottom of the basket. Bring water to a boil.
2. Add asparagus, carrots, and onion to basket, cover and steam until tender (5 minutes). Remove steamer basket of veggies from the pot. Rinse until cool, pat dry. Keep pot covered so steam water remains warm.
WHILE VEGGIES ARE STEAMING:
1. Mix butter, 2 TB tarragon, shallot, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, 1/8 ts salt, pinch of pepper.
2. Pat sole dry with paper towels, season with salt and pepper. Spread 1 ts of tarragon butter over each fillet. Lay some of the steamed vegetables across the wider end of each piece of fish. Roll the fish up around the vegetables into tidy bundles.
3. Lay lemon or orange to cover bottom of steamer basket (inside Dutch oven). Place fish bundles on top of sliced fruit, seam side down. Sprinkle fish with remaining 1 TB of tarragon. Lay lemon/orange of top of each fish.
4. Bring the water in the Dutch oven to a boil. Cover and steam the fish until it flakes apart with gently prodded with a knife (about 7 minutes).
5. Using a spatula, gently transfer fish bundles (discard fruit) to individual plates. Dot each fish with remaining tarragon butter.
Best Products to use with this recipe: