Fricasseed Chicken with Fresh Herbs and Sundried Tomatoes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
3 pound chicken cut into 10 pieces: 2 drumsticks, 2 thighs, 2 wings, 4 pieces of the breast.
2 TB olive oil
3 garlic cloves, chopped
6 sage leaves, chopped
2 sprigs rosemary (remove leaves and chop them)
3 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
7 halves sun dried tomatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 cup dry white wine
5 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into walnut sized pieces
1. Wash the chicken under cold running water and pat dry.
2. Pour olive oil into a 12 inche saute pan or skillet and turn heat to high. When the oil is hot, add the chicken, skin side down. Cook until browned to a deep gold, turn and brown the other side. Transfer pieces to medium bowl.
3. Add garlic to the pan, turn heat down to medium. As soon as you smell garlic add sage, rosemary and bacon. Cook the bacon, turning it over once or twice, until light brown, not crisp. Add sun dried tomatoes, turn over once or twice, then add chicken pieces EXCEPT breasts. Sprinkle pan chicken with salt and chili pepper, turn over and coat other side.
4. Add the wine, increase heat to high, let it bubble a few seconds. Turn the heat down to low and cover. Cook the chicken, turning it from time to time, about 45 minutes. (If chicken begins to stick to the pan, add 1/4 cup water).
5. When the chicken is done, transfer teh pieces to the bowl with the breast pieces. Put the potatoes in the pan, turning them over to coat them well. Sprinkle with salt, turn heat down to medium, cover the pan. When the potatoes are almost done (not quite tender) return ALL chicken pieces to the pan. Cook, turning the chicken once or twice, until the potatoes are done.
6. Transfer the fricassee to a warm platter and serve at once.