Tofu with Carrot and Ginger Sauce
Prep Time: 25 minutes + overnight refrigeration
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
1 1/2 pounds firm tofu
1/2 cup orange juice
1 TB soft brown sugar
1 TB soy sauce
2 TB cilantro, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 ts grated fresh ginger
3 TB oil
2 pounds baby bok choy, quartered lengthwise
Carrot and Ginger Sauce:
10 oz carrots, chopped
2 ts fresh ginger, grated
2/3 cup orange juice
1/2 cup veggie stock
1. Drain tofu, slice each block into six lengthways. Place single layer in a flat non metallic dish. Mix juice, sugar, soy sauce, cilantro, garlic and ginger in a jug. Pour it over tofu. Cover and refrigerate overnight, turning once.
2. Drain tofu, reserve the marinade. Heat oil in large frying pan and cook tofu in batched over high heat for 3 minutes each side, until golden. Remove and keep warm. Bring the marinade to a boil in a saucepan, reduce the heat and simmer for one minute. Remove from heat and keep warm.
3. Heat a wok, add bok choy and 1 TB water. Cook, covered over medium heat for 3 minutes. Remove and keep warm.
4. Add the sauce ingredients to a saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered for 5 minutes. Transfer to food processor and blend until smooth.
5. To serve: Divide bok choy among six plates. Top with some sauce, then tofu and drizzle on a little marinade.