Lentils and Rice Casserole
***This is great for leftover lentils and rice***
Total Prep and Cook Time (Including Cooking Lentils and rice): 1 hour 15 minutes
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 onion, diced
2 cups cooked green lentils
2 cups cooked rice
2 cups plain yogurt
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Directions on cooking Lentils
1. Pour 4 cups of water or broth into a pot and boil it in medium to high heat.
2. Add lentils when the water boils. Add fresh or dried herbs for flavor. Do not add salt while cooking, as this tends to harden the lentils. Any acidic ingredients like lemon juice, vinegar or tomatoes must also be added after cooking.
3. Boil in medium to high heat for 3-5 minutes then reduce to a simmer for 10-15 minutes.
4. The cooking time for lentils varies depending on the type. To make sure that you do not overcook the lentils, start tasting after 15-20 minutes. It should be tender but not mushy. Cook for another 5 minutes if you want it to be a bit more tender
Directions for making Casserole:
1. In a heavy skillet heat canola oil and gently saute the onions.
2. Add all remaining ingredients except the cheese.
3. Mix well and pour into the casserole dish.
4. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake at 375 F for 30 minutes. Serve hot as a main dish.