Couscous with Zucchini and a side of Toasted Garlic Pita
Total Time: 25 minutes
1 cup chicken broth OR veggie broth for vegetarian version
3/4 cup plain couscous
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 lb zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Ingredients for Garlic Pita:
4 small round pitas
1/2 cup melted butter
1 clove garlic, minced
Directions for Couscous:
1. Bring broth to a boil in a small saucepan, then pour over couscous in a bowl and let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside until ready to use.
2. Heat oil in a heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot, sautÃ© onion, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 6 minutes.
3. Add garlic and sautÃ©, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
4. Add zucchini and remaining and sautÃ©, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 5 minutes.
5. Reduce heat to moderately low, stir in coriander, chili powder, cumin, and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, 2 minutes.
6. Gently stir zucchini mixture into couscous. Just before serving, stir lemon juice.
Directions for Toasted Garlic Pita:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
1. Melt butter.
2. Add minced garlic to melted butter.
3. Brush garlic butter onto both sides of pita bread.
4. Place on baking sheet, bake in oven for approximately 7 minutes.
5. Serve hot with couscous!