So, I don’t know about you all, but it’s starting to get a bit chilly where I live. I was craving some comfort food the other night, so I made my very first chicken pot pie.
It was yumtastic.
Hope you like it.
2 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 boneless chicken breast halves cut into bite sized pieces
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoons dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
4 celery stalks, chopped
1 large russet potato, peeled and chopped into bite sized pieces
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 ts mustard
1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
2 9-inch pie crust
Ingredients for Pie Crust:
1 cup butter (2 sticks), cubed and chilled
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
8 to 10 tablespoons ice water
Directions for Pie Crust:
1. Put the butter, flour, and salt in the food processor, and pulse lightly just until the mixture resembles wet sand.
2. Add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing briefly after each spoonful of water. Keep adding water until the dough just begins to gather into larger clumps.
3. Transfer equal amounts of the dough into 2 resealable plastic bags and pat each into a disk. Let rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
4. Remove 1 of the disks from the bag to a flour coated surface. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out to a 10-inch round. Gently fit the rolled dough into a 9-inch pie pan, and refrigerate while you prepare the torte ingredients.
(Yields 2 (9-inch) pie crusts)
Directions for Filling:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or oven-proof stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and saute 2 minutes.
3. Add chicken and saute 5 to 7 minutes, until browned on all sides.
4. In a small bowl, combine flour, thyme, salt, pepper, and paprika. Add flour mixture to the chicken and stir to coat.
5. Stir in carrots, celery, potatoes, tomatoes, chicken broth, wine, and Dijon mustard and mix well. Bring mixture to a boil. Cook until vegetables are tender.
6. Turn off heat and stir in corn.
7. Take pie pan with bottom crust inside and add the filling.
8. Add second pie crust on top and pinch around the sides so the two crusts stick together. Slit the middle of the top pie crust to let out air during cooking.
9. Bake for 20 minutes or until pie crust is to your preferred color.