Bean, Potato, and Kale Soup
Prep. Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
2 TB butter
1 onion, chopped
3/4 cup carrot, chopped
3/4 cup celery, chopped
2 large tomatoes, quartered
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups low-sodium veggie or chicken broth
2 cups water
1 cup white wine or 1/2 cup vinegar
3 potatoes, halved and sliced
1/2 ts rosemary
1/2 ts sage
1/2 ts thyme
1 (16 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups kale leaves, finely chopped
1 small red chile pepper, seeded and chopped fine
ground black pepper to taste
1. Melt butter in a large stock pot over medium heat; cook onion for 5 minutes, until softened and clear.
2. Add carrot, celery, tomatoes, and garlic; cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add chicken broth, water, and white wine/vinager; stir in potatoes, rosemary, sage, and thyme.
4. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer about 20 minutes. Check that the potatoes are tender.
5. Add cannelini beans, kale, chile pepper, and black pepper
6. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.