Bacon and Carmelized Onion Chowder
Prep. Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
3 TB butter
2 TB olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
1/2 cup shredded carrots
2 potatoes, peeled
4 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
2 ounces cream cheese
sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
NOTE: If you are in a rush, start your potatoes and onions at the same time. You will need two stock pots to do that.
1. Cut potatoes into bite sized pieces. Place in stock pot and cover with water. Bring water to boil and cook potatoes until they are tender (about 15-20 minutes).
2. When potatoes are cooked and drained, take the same stock pot and add 2 TB butter and olive oil over high heat. Once butter melts, stir in onions.
3. Cook onions for 15-20 minutes. Remove from stock pot and set aside.
4. Add carrots and 1 TB butter to stock pot. Saute 2 minutes. Add potatoes and saute 3 minutes. Stir in onions and cooked bacon bits.
5. Reduce heat and add cream cheese; stir until melted. Add milk and cook, gently stirring until soup begins to thicken.
6. Serve your soup with a dollop of sour cream and some shredded cheese.