Creamed Lentils with Garlic Croutons
Prep. Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
4 cups water
1 1/2 cups small green lentils, rinsed
1 to 2 cups half and half
1 TB butter
3 slices bacon
1/4 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 slices country white bread (great time to use the ends of the loaf!), cut into cubes
1. In a saucepan over high heat, combine water, lentils, half and half, butter, and bacon. Bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat, cover partially, and simmer 40 minutes.
3. Remove the bacon and blend the lentils (in batches) in a food processor. Get the lentils as smooth as possible.
1. Heat oil in frying pan over medium heat. Add garlic for 30 seconds, then add the bread.
2. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and stir until bread is brown and crispy.
Serve lentils topped with garlic croutons!