This is a crazy yet delicious sounded dish. I found it in my Everyday Food: Great Food Fast book.
Spicy Black Bean Cakes
Prep. Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
2 TB olive oil
4 green onions, thinly sliced
6 cloves of garlic, pressed
2 jalepeno chilies, chopped
1 TB ground cumin
2 cans (15 oz. each) black beans, drained
1 large sweet potato, peeled and grated
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup bread crumbs
Lime Sour Cream:
1/2 cup sour cream
2 ts fresh lime juice
1 jalepeno chili, minced
1. Turn your oven to 475 degrees F or turn on your broiler. In a small skillet over medium heat, warm 1 TB olive oil. Cook the green onions 1 minute. Add the garlic, jalapeno, and cumin. Cook for 30 seconds. Transfer to a large bowl.
2. Add the beans to the bowl; mash with a fork leaving about 1/4 of the beans whole. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Fold in the grated sweet potatoes, egg and bread crumbs.
4. Divide into 8 equal patties.
5. Brush a baking sheet with 1 TB olive oil. Place the patties on the baking sheet, 1/2 inch apart. Broil for 8 to 10 minutes. Turn patties over and broil 3 more minutes. Serve with lime sour cream.