I re-discovered the deliciousness of leeks this week. This recipe is a wonderful combination of a variety of flavors. I don’t really know how to classify it; it has a sort of Mediterranean taste to it.
Chicken in Leek Lime Sauce with Carrot Rice
Total time: 30 minutes
4 TB olive oil
3 carrots, peeled and grated
1 cup quinoa
3 cups chicken stock
1 ts dried thyme
zest and juice of 2 limes
2 chicken breasts, sliced
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 ts red pepper flakes
1 ts ground coriander
2 leeks, sliced
2 TB butter
1. Heat medium skillet over high heat. When pan is hot add olive oil. Add carrots, salt and pepper. Stir and cook 1 minutes.
2. Add quinoa to skillet and mix well. Add 2 1/2 cups chicken stock. Bring stock to a boil, cover, reduce heat and cook 10 minutes.
3. Combine 2 TB olive oil, thyme, lime zest, salt and pepper. Coat chicken with mixture.
4. Heat large skillet over high heat. Add chicken and cook 5 minutes on each side. Transfer to plate and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
5. Using same skillet, heat up 2 TB olive oil. Add garlic, red pepper flakes and coriander. Cook and stir 1 minute. Add leeks and cook 1 minute. Add lime juice and 1/2 cup chicken stock; cook 2 more minutes.
6. Turn off heat and add butter.
7. Divide carrot rice among 4 plates. Place sliced chicken on top of rice. Top chicken with Leek Lime Sauce.