The trick to the recipe is the SWEET POTATO and the BALSAMIC VINEGAR. I added them together on a whim and am so very happy I did. There is a tart yet sweet flavor to this dish that I have never tasted in any other.
Sweet and Savory Vegetable Casserole with Rosemary Sage Dumplings
Prep. Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
1 TB olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 TB paprika
1 potato, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 (14 oz) can chopped tomatoes
1 can (14 oz) vegetable broth/stock
1 sweet potato (1 lb), peeled and chopped
1 bunch broccoli (1/2 lb), chopped
2 zucchini, chopped
1 TB balsamic vinegar
2 TB sour cream
1 cup flour
2 TB chilled butter, cubed
1/2 TB fresh sage, chopped
1/2 TB fresh rosemary, chopped
1/4 cup milk
1. Heat oil in deep skillet. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Add garlic and paprika to skillet and cook 30 seconds. Add potato, carrot, tomato and veggie stock to pan. Bring to boil, reduce heat and cook on low for 10 minutes.
3. Add sweet potato, broccoli and zucchini and simmer for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
4. Sift flour and pinch of salt into a medium sized bowl. Rub chilled butter into flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. Pour milk and herbs into bowl and using a knife slice into the flour and stir until in creates a dough.
5. Move dough to table surface and form into a ball. Cut into 6 equal sized pieces. Form each piece into a ball.
6. Right before you add your cooked vegetables to your casserole dish for baking mix in the balsamic vinegar and sour cream.
7. Top vegetable mixer with herb dumplings.
8. Bake casserole for 20 minutes.