I decided today that I could probably eat Indian food everyday for the rest of my life and not get bored. Here’s a bit of a twist on tandoori chicken (as I do not have Tandoori oven in my house).
Tandoori Style Chicken Wings with a Yogurt Sauce
Prep. Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
1 TB ginger, minced
1 TB ground coriander
1 1/2 ts ground cumin
1 ts ground tumeric
1/2 ts ground cinnamon
1/2 ts salt
1/4 ts cayenne pepper
24 chicken wings
1 cup whole milk yogurt
2 TB fresh cilantro
1 garlic clove, minced
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Combine and mix all ingredients except for the chicken.
3. Rub spice mix over chicken wings.
4. Place chicken on baking sheet. Bake in oven for 25 minutes.
5. To make yogurt sauce. Combine all ingredients and mix well.
This is a crazy yet delicious sounded dish. I found it in my Everyday Food: Great Food Fast book.
Spicy Black Bean Cakes
Prep. Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
2 TB olive oil
4 green onions, thinly sliced
6 cloves of garlic, pressed
2 jalepeno chilies, chopped
1 TB ground cumin
2 cans (15 oz. each) black beans, drained
1 large sweet potato, peeled and grated
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup bread crumbs
Lime Sour Cream:
1/2 cup sour cream
2 ts fresh lime juice
1 jalepeno chili, minced
1. Turn your oven to 475 degrees F or turn on your broiler. In a small skillet over medium heat, warm 1 TB olive oil. Cook the green onions 1 minute. Add the garlic, jalapeno, and cumin. Cook for 30 seconds. Transfer to a large bowl.
2. Add the beans to the bowl; mash with a fork leaving about 1/4 of the beans whole. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Fold in the grated sweet potatoes, egg and bread crumbs.
4. Divide into 8 equal patties.
5. Brush a baking sheet with 1 TB olive oil. Place the patties on the baking sheet, 1/2 inch apart. Broil for 8 to 10 minutes. Turn patties over and broil 3 more minutes. Serve with lime sour cream.
Mint and Pea Hummus with Pita Bread
Total Time: 20 minutes
I found this recipe in
1 TB olive oil
3 small leeks, chopped
4 cups shelled peas, fresh or frozen
3/4 cup vegetable broth
2 TB tahini
2 TB mint, chopped
1 ts salt
1/2 ts black pepper
6 pitas, cut into wedges and toasted
1. In a large saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add leeks, cover and cook for 7 minutes. Add peas and cook uncovered for 8 minutes (only 5 if frozen peas). Add broth and cook 3 more minutes.
2. Remove from heat, stir in tahini and mint, and spoon mixture into the bowl of food processor. Process until fairly smooth. Add salt and pepper, seasoning as desired.
3. Place in a bowl and serve with toasted pitas.
Can be either a dinner or appetizer.
Total Time: 15 minutes
Can be cut into 8 appetizer sized slices.
3 — 8 inch flour tortillas
olive oil (for coating tortillas)
1/2 ts chili powder
1/2 ts ground cumin
1 cup shredded cheese
1 can (4 oz.) diced green chilies
***Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.***
1. Brush one side of flour tortilla with olive oil. Sprinkle with chili powder and cumin.
2. Place tortilla on a baking sheet, spice side down. Top with 1/2 the cheese and chilies.
3. Top with second tortilla. Add remaining cheese and chilies.
4. Top with third tortilla. Coat top of tortilla with olive oil, chili powder and cumin.
5. Broil quesadilla until tortillas are golden brown and cheese is melted.
Total Time: 50 minutes
1 lb. ground pork
1 onion, chopped
1 ts dried sage
1/2 ts salt
1/2 ts ground black pepper
1/2 ts crushed red pepper flakes
1 (17 1/4 oz.) package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
flour, for dusting
1 egg, beaten
1 cup Worcestershire sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350 degress F.
2. Combine pork, potato, onion, sage, salt, pepper, and pepper flakes in a bowl.
3. Unfold 1 pastry sheet; following folding marks, cut the sheet into 3 rectangles. Cut each rectangle into four squares. Cut each square into 2 triangles.
4. Place 1 TB of sausage mixture onto each triangle. Fold one corner of the puff pastry over to another corner. Press edges together with fingers or fork.
5. Place triangles on baking sheet, seam side down. Brush the top with beaten egg.
6. Bake for 35 minutes.
7. Serve warm with side of Worcestershire sauce.
Tamari Nut Mix
Prep. Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
1 cup of mixed nuts (almonds, walnuts, peanuts, Brazil nuts)
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup cashew nuts
3/4 cup macadamia nuts
1/2 cup tamari
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Lightly grease two baking sheets.
2. Place all ingredients (except tamari) in a bowl. Pour the tamari over the nuts. Toss the mixture until evenly coated.
3. Spread the nuts evenly on the two baking sheets. Bake for 25 minutes.
4. Cool completely and store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Hot and Spicy Chicken Wings
***This is my husband’s famous chicken wings recipe***
Total Time: 30 minutes
FrankÅ› hot sauce
(Amount of ingredients will change depending on how many wings you want to prepare. Franks to butter is a 2:1 ratio–this will make your wings pretty darn spicy.)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Melt your butter in a microwave safe bowl. Mix Franks into the butter.
3. Place wings on baking sheets. Brush both sides of your chicken wings with Franks Butter.
4. Cook for 15 minutes. Flip and add more Franks butter. Cook 10 minutes more.
5. Flip and coat with more Franks butter. Set oven to broil and broil wings for 3 to 5 minutes.
6. Enjoy them while they are hot!