Prep Time: 30 minutes
Waiting Time: 2 hours (refrigeration)
11 slices day old bread, crusts removed
2 TB sherry vinegar
3 pounds ripe tomatoes, peeled and seeded
1/2 yellow onion, cut into chunks
1 cucumber, peeled, halved, seeded, and cut into chunks
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
1 cup olive oil
handful of ice cubes
1 small cucumber, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1. Place 9 slices of bread in a food processor and spoon vinegar over it. Add tomatoes, onion, cucumber, bell pepper, 2/3 cup olive oil, 1 cup water; pulse until smooth. Add more water if desired. Season with salt and more vinegar if desired.
2. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
3. Meanwhile, cut the remaining 2 bread slices into 1/2 inch thick cubes. In a frying pan, warm remaining 1/3 cup olive oil over medium heat. Add the bread and fry for 3 minutes, stirring often.
4. Just before serving, transfer the gazpacho to a serving bowl and add the ice cubes.
5. Place diced cucumber, diced bell pepper, hard boiled eggs and bread cubes in small bowls for guests to use as they desire.