Thai Fish Cakes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking: 10 minutes
14 oz firm white boneless fish fillets
1/4 cup rice or corn flour
1 TB fish sauce
1/2 cup chopped coriander
3 ts Thai red curry paste
1 – 2 small red chillies, chopped fine
3 oz. green beans, sliced
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup oil
sweet chili sauce
1. Pulse blend fish in food processor for 20 seconds, until smooth. Add flour, fish sauce, egg, coriander, curry paste and chili. Mix or 10 seconds. Transfer to bowl and mix in beans and spring onions. Using wet hands, make into patties.
2. Heat oil in heavy based frying pan until a cube of bread browns in 15 seconds. Cook four fish cakes at a time until golden brown on each side. Serve with sweet chili sauce.
Steamed Sole Bundles with Vegetable and Tarragon
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
1 pound thin asparagus, cut tough edges off
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch matchsticks (approx.)
1 red onion, halved and sliced
2 TB unsalted butter, softened
3 TB minced fresh tarragon or dill
1/2 shallot, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 ts lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
salt and pepper
8 small skinless sole fillets
2 lemons or oranges, sliced thin
1. Fit a large Dutch Oven with a steamer basket. Fill the pot with water until it just touches the bottom of the basket. Bring water to a boil.
2. Add asparagus, carrots, and onion to basket, cover and steam until tender (5 minutes). Remove steamer basket of veggies from the pot. Rinse until cool, pat dry. Keep pot covered so steam water remains warm.
WHILE VEGGIES ARE STEAMING:
1. Mix butter, 2 TB tarragon, shallot, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, 1/8 ts salt, pinch of pepper.
2. Pat sole dry with paper towels, season with salt and pepper. Spread 1 ts of tarragon butter over each fillet. Lay some of the steamed vegetables across the wider end of each piece of fish. Roll the fish up around the vegetables into tidy bundles.
3. Lay lemon or orange to cover bottom of steamer basket (inside Dutch oven). Place fish bundles on top of sliced fruit, seam side down. Sprinkle fish with remaining 1 TB of tarragon. Lay lemon/orange of top of each fish.
4. Bring the water in the Dutch oven to a boil. Cover and steam the fish until it flakes apart with gently prodded with a knife (about 7 minutes).
5. Using a spatula, gently transfer fish bundles (discard fruit) to individual plates. Dot each fish with remaining tarragon butter.
Best Products to use with this recipe:
Fillets of Sole with Steamed Broccoli
About 30 minutes start to finish
4 sole fillets, 7 to 8 ounces each
2 large eggs, beaten
3 TB milk or half and half
3 TB unsalted butter, cut into pieces
Juice of 1 lemon
2 heads of broccoli
1 TB butter
salt and pepper
1. Rinse and pat fish dry, season with salt and pepper.
2. Beat the eggs with the half and half (or milk).
3. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add butter. When butter is melted and hot dip fish fillets into egg/milk mixture and transfer them to the skillet.
4. Cook fillets 3 to 4 minutes each side until golden brown.
While fish is cooking,
5. Steam broccoli in sauce pan (with steamer).
6. Steam for 5 minutes.
7. Transfer steamed broccoli to bowl, toss with butter. Salt and Pepper to taste.
8. When the fish is cooked, transfer to serving platter. Add lemon juice
to skillet and cook in remaining sauce. When hot, pour over fish.