Lentil and Split Pea Puree
Can be made vegetarian (remove bacon and replace chicken stock with veggie stock.)
Prep. Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
4 slices bacon, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, copped
2 TB tomato paste
1/2 cup each dried brown lentils
1/2 cup split peas
3 1/2 cups chicken stock
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 TB cumin
1 ts chili powder
1. Cook bacon in a saute pan until crisp; remove and place on paper towel to drain.
2. While saute pan is still hot, add onions and saute 3 minutes; add garlic for 30 secods, stir and add carrots and celery. Cook 5 more minutes.
3. Stir in lentils and peas; add stock, salt, pepper, chili powder and cumin.
4. Bring gentle boil, cover and lower heat. Simmer fir 40 minutes.
5. Puree mixture with food processor or hand held mixer. Reheat if necessary.
6. Top with bacon and serve.
Garnish with onion tops.
Creamed Lentils with Garlic Croutons
Prep. Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
4 cups water
1 1/2 cups small green lentils, rinsed
1 to 2 cups half and half
1 TB butter
3 slices bacon
1/4 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 slices country white bread (great time to use the ends of the loaf!), cut into cubes
1. In a saucepan over high heat, combine water, lentils, half and half, butter, and bacon. Bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat, cover partially, and simmer 40 minutes.
3. Remove the bacon and blend the lentils (in batches) in a food processor. Get the lentils as smooth as possible.
1. Heat oil in frying pan over medium heat. Add garlic for 30 seconds, then add the bread.
2. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and stir until bread is brown and crispy.
Serve lentils topped with garlic croutons!
Lentils and Rice Casserole
***This is great for leftover lentils and rice***
Total Prep and Cook Time (Including Cooking Lentils and rice): 1 hour 15 minutes
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 onion, diced
2 cups cooked green lentils
2 cups cooked rice
2 cups plain yogurt
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Directions on cooking Lentils
1. Pour 4 cups of water or broth into a pot and boil it in medium to high heat.
2. Add lentils when the water boils. Add fresh or dried herbs for flavor. Do not add salt while cooking, as this tends to harden the lentils. Any acidic ingredients like lemon juice, vinegar or tomatoes must also be added after cooking.
3. Boil in medium to high heat for 3-5 minutes then reduce to a simmer for 10-15 minutes.
4. The cooking time for lentils varies depending on the type. To make sure that you do not overcook the lentils, start tasting after 15-20 minutes. It should be tender but not mushy. Cook for another 5 minutes if you want it to be a bit more tender
Directions for making Casserole:
1. In a heavy skillet heat canola oil and gently saute the onions.
2. Add all remaining ingredients except the cheese.
3. Mix well and pour into the casserole dish.
4. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake at 375 F for 30 minutes. Serve hot as a main dish.