I have no idea how I managed to get my total to $38 this week! I love saving money while not skimping on flavor. This week is full of delicious vegetable combinations, one skillet meals and a bit of a gourmet edge. You may want to slip some of these ones into your pocket for your next dinner party.
Vegetarian Zucchini Frittata
Vegetarian Sweet Potato Ravioli in Garlic Cream Sauce
Vegetarian Pesto Pasta with Green Beans
Vegetarian Vegetable Hashbrowns
Chicken in Leek Lime Sauce with Carrot Quinoa </a ***This weeks favorite***
Click HERE for a pdf version of this week’s shopping list.
Have a great week!
Happy eating, cooking, and saving!
I re-discovered the deliciousness of leeks this week. This recipe is a wonderful combination of a variety of flavors. I don’t really know how to classify it; it has a sort of Mediterranean taste to it.
Chicken in Leek Lime Sauce with Carrot Rice
Total time: 30 minutes
4 TB olive oil
3 carrots, peeled and grated
1 cup quinoa
3 cups chicken stock
1 ts dried thyme
zest and juice of 2 limes
2 chicken breasts, sliced
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 ts red pepper flakes
1 ts ground coriander
2 leeks, sliced
2 TB butter
1. Heat medium skillet over high heat. When pan is hot add olive oil. Add carrots, salt and pepper. Stir and cook 1 minutes.
2. Add quinoa to skillet and mix well. Add 2 1/2 cups chicken stock. Bring stock to a boil, cover, reduce heat and cook 10 minutes.
3. Combine 2 TB olive oil, thyme, lime zest, salt and pepper. Coat chicken with mixture.
4. Heat large skillet over high heat. Add chicken and cook 5 minutes on each side. Transfer to plate and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
5. Using same skillet, heat up 2 TB olive oil. Add garlic, red pepper flakes and coriander. Cook and stir 1 minute. Add leeks and cook 1 minute. Add lime juice and 1/2 cup chicken stock; cook 2 more minutes.
6. Turn off heat and add butter.
7. Divide carrot rice among 4 plates. Place sliced chicken on top of rice. Top chicken with Leek Lime Sauce.
This week’s recipes is heavy on the canned goods.Â I’m a fan of using canned and frozen goods as often as possible.Â That means less trips to the grocery store for me and more money in my pocket at the end of the week!
Vegetarian Simple and Fast Beans and Rice Tacos
Vegetarian Chickpea and Tomato Soup with Dumplings
Vegan Quinoa with Collard Greens and Bacon
Chicken Tikka Masala with Rice
Vegan Lentil Burgers with Samosa Stuffing
For a PDF version of this shopping list CLICK HERE.
This is a super quick and really easy recipe.Â It combines two of my favorite ingredients, quinoa and collard greens. It is a healthy, quick, and simple dish.
Quinoa with Collard Greens and Bacon
Total Time: 20 minutes
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 tsp. olive oil
4 slices bacon, sliced and diced in 1/4-inch pieces
1/2 onion, chopped
2Â cupsÂ chicken stock
1 TB sage
2 TB chives and parsley, chopped
salt and pepper
2 cups frozen collard greens
2-3 Tbs Water
1 Pinch Salt
1 tsp Lime Juice
1.Â Rinse quinoa in a strainer.
2.Â Heat oil in medium pot and add bacon. Cook bacon 2 minutes, stirring constantly.Â Add onions and stir over medium heat for 1 minute.Â Add rinsed quinoa, chicken stock, salt and sage. Bring to a boil.
3. Add collard greens and lime juice to pot.Â Turn down to a low simmer; cover and cook for 17 minutes.
4.Â When quinoa is cooked let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.
The sauce for this recipe is so outstanding. It is really easy to make and consists of ingredients that I usually have on hand, so I can make it whenever I feel like it!
Balsamic Chicken with Spinach and Quinoa
Prep. Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
4 TB olive oil
4 chicken breasts, sliced
1/4 ts salt
1/4 ts black pepper
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3 TB balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 package frozen spinach
1 cup quinoa, cooked
2 cups of water
1. Heat saute pan over high heat; when pan is hot, add 2 TB olive oil. When oil is hot add chicken; season with salt and pepper. Cook chicken for 10 minutes, flipping them over half way through. Remove and set aside.
2. Cook frozen spinach according to directions. When spinach is cooked add 1 TB balsamic vinegar and mix well. At the same time, place quinoa in a microwavable bowl with 2 cups of water. Cook in microwave for 9 minutes.
3. Heat a saute pan over medium heat; when pan is hot, add 2 TB olive oil. When oil is hot add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add canned tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, and chicken broth. Cook for 5 minutes. Add chicken slices and cook 5 minutes more.
4. To serve: Spead quinoa on the bottom of a plate. Top half with spinach. Place sliced chicken on the other half and pour tomato sauce over the chicken.