Spring is here! Time to start making salads and homemade dressing.
Cranberry and Walnut Spring Salad
Total Time: 15 minutes
4 cups spring mix salad
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup feta cheese
1/2 pound cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup olive oil
3 TB red wine vinegar
1 TB lemon juice
1 TB honey
1/2 ts salt
1/4 ts pepper
1 shallot, minced
1. Combine spring mix, walnuts, dried cranberries and feta, and tomato in large bowl.
2. Make the dressing by combining all of the ingredients and stir well with a whisk.
3. Pour the dressing over the salad and serve.
I love this salad! It is a great combination of creaminess and crunchiness, savory and sweet. To top it off, it’s healthy!
Total Time: 20 minutes
1 pound fresh spinach, washed and patted dry
1/2 red onion, diced
2 avocados, sliced
3-4 ears of corn
Dressing (to make, combine all ingredients and mix together.):
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1. If you have a gas stove, turn one of you burners on high and stick your corn directly on the flame. Turn the cobs occasionally until all sides are blackened. Let your corn cobs cool a bit, then cut corn from the cob. If you do not have a gas stove, simply cut the corn from the ears.
2. I think this salad is best if you make them individually. I have found that avocados don’t mix well with spinach. So, first place spinach on your plates or in your bowls.
3. Top with slices of avocados, corn, and onion.
4. Drizzle the top with lemon dressing.
Sesame Carrot Salad with a Baked Tomato Crisp
These recipes were part of two other recipes, but I decided to pair them because the flavors go really well together.
Sesame Carrot Salad
Total Time: 10 minutes
1 lb carrots, peeled and grated
2 TB sesame seeds
2 TB rice vinegar
1 TB sesame oil
1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Toss until salad is mixed.
Cherry Tomato Crisp
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
2 slices white bread
Â½ cup grated Parmesan
2 TB fresh parsley leaves
1 TB olive oil
1 garlic clove, chopped
salt and pepper
1 Â½ pounds cherry tomatoes (can also use grape tomatoes or strawberry tomatoes)
1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2.In food processor, combine bread, cheese, parsley, olive oil, and garlic; season with salt and pepper.
3.Pulse food processor until bread is coarsely chopped.
4.In an 8 inch square baking dish, place tomatoes in a single layer. Sprinkle bread mixture over the top.
5.Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Until bread is browned on top.
Warm Chopped Chicken Piccata Spinach Salad
I found this recipe in one of my Rachel Ray Books.Â I’ve change it a bit for my own tastes.Â Feel free to do the same to my recipes (:
Total Time: 30 minutes
3 chicken breasts, sliced thinly
3 TB olive oil
1 TB salted butter
2 shallots, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3 TB capers, chopped
Â½ cup white vinegar
Juice of 1 lemon
2 pounds fresh spinach
Parmesan Cheese for garnish
- Preheat oven 250 degrees F
- Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper. Heat large skillet with 2 TB olive oil inside. When oil ripples, add chicken.
- Cook chicken for 5 minutes on each side . Remove chicken and allow to rest on a plate.
- To the same skillet, add remaining TB of olive oil and butter. Melt the butter and add the shallots, garlic and capers.
- Saute for 5 minutes. Add vinegar, and let reduce for 30 seconds. Add the lemon juice and then the spinach.
- Not all of the spinach will fit in the pan at once. As soon as the first batch wilts, add the second. So on and so forth. Keep some of your leaves crispy to add depth and texture to your salad.
- When spinach is just about to your liking, add the chicken and turn off the heat. Mix and then serve topped with Parmesan Cheese!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
2 green apples, seeded and chopped
2 red apples, seeded and chopped
2 TB lemon juice
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
4 celery ribs, sliced
1 cup mayonnaise
1. Place apples in large bowl; drizzle with lemon juice and toss. Add walnut pieces and celery. Mix well.
2. Add mayonnaise; toss well. Spoon onto lettuce lined bowl. Serve immediately.
Chinese Chicken Salad
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours and 20 minutes (2 hours in the fridge)
2 cups cooked chicken
2 packages Top Ramen with seasoning
1 small head cabbage, shredded
1 bunch green onion, chopped
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1/3 cup toasted sesame seeds
2 ts salt
1/2 cup veggie oil
1 ts pepper
1 TB vinager
3 TB sugar
1. Cook both packages of Ramen according to package. DRAIN RAMEN, then add season; mix well.
2. In large bowl, combine chicken, cabbage, green onions, almonds and sesame seeds. Mix well.
3. Mix dressing. Combine all ingredients into one large bowl and mix well.
4. Refrigerate 2 hours before serving.
Asparagus and Mushroom Salad
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
5 oz. asparagus spears
1 TB wholegrain mustard
1/4 cup orange juice
2 TB lemon juice
1 TB lime juice
1 TB orange zest
2 ts lemon zest
2 ts lime zest
2 gloves garlic, crushed
1/4 cup honey
14 oz fresh mushrooms, halved
5 oz arugula
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1. Trim the ends off the asparagus and cut in half. Place in sauce pan of boiling water; cook 1 minute. Drain and plunge into cold water. Set aside.
2. Place mustard, juices, zests, garlic and honey in large saucepan. Season with pepper. Bring to boil, reduce heat and add mushrooms. Toss for 2 minutes. Cool.
3. Remove the mushrooms from the sauce with a slotted spoon. Return sauce to heat, bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes (until reduced and syrup-like). Cool slightly.
4. Toss mushrooms, arugula, bell pepper and asparagus together. Then drizzle with sauce.