Asparagus and Bell Pepper Tacos
Prep. Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Approximate calories per serving: 375
16 stalks of asparagus
2 bell peppers
1 TB minced garlic
1 TB oil (I use canola)
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
1 can black beans
8 corn tortillas
1 cup shredded cheese
1. Turn on then oven and set to 400 F.
2. Wash your veggies.
3. Cut 1″ off the bottom of each piece of asparagus, then cut in half.
4. Slice the bell pepper into 1″ thick pieces.
5. Place veggies in a bowl, add garlic, oil, salt, and pepper. Mix together
6. Place a sheet of aluminum foil of a baking sheet. Put mixed veggies on the aluminum foil.
7. Bake for 10 minutes.
8. When 5 minutes are left on your baking time, start heating your black beans in a sauce pot.
9. Wrap the corn tortillas in a wet paper towel and heat in the microwave 30 seconds per side.
10. Assemble your tacos! Corn tortilla, then cheese, black beans, 4 pieces of asparagus, 2 pieces of bell pepper, hot sauce!
These suckers are messy, have fun!
Prep. Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
6 cups veggie stock
2 zucchini, sliced 3/4 inch thick
1 bunch asparagus, cut 1 inch length
3 oz. snow peas, cut in half
2 TB olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups short grain rice
2 small tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1.Place chicken stock into pan. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and keep at a simmer.
2. Boil two cups of water. Place asparagus, zucchini, and snow peas in a heat proof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Let stand 2 minutes.
Drain. Refresh with cold water; drain.
3. Heat oil in a heavy-based pan. Add onion, stir over medium heat until golden; add rice. Reduce heat to medium, stir rice for 3 minutes. Add quarter of simmering stock to the pan; stir constantly for 7 minutes, until stock is absorbed.
4. Repeat this process until all but 1/2 cup of stock has been used. Add vegetables, tomatoes and remaining stock; stir for 5 minutes. Stir in parmesan. Serve immediately.
Asparagus and Mushroom Salad
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
5 oz. asparagus spears
1 TB wholegrain mustard
1/4 cup orange juice
2 TB lemon juice
1 TB lime juice
1 TB orange zest
2 ts lemon zest
2 ts lime zest
2 gloves garlic, crushed
1/4 cup honey
14 oz fresh mushrooms, halved
5 oz arugula
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1. Trim the ends off the asparagus and cut in half. Place in sauce pan of boiling water; cook 1 minute. Drain and plunge into cold water. Set aside.
2. Place mustard, juices, zests, garlic and honey in large saucepan. Season with pepper. Bring to boil, reduce heat and add mushrooms. Toss for 2 minutes. Cool.
3. Remove the mushrooms from the sauce with a slotted spoon. Return sauce to heat, bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes (until reduced and syrup-like). Cool slightly.
4. Toss mushrooms, arugula, bell pepper and asparagus together. Then drizzle with sauce.
Steamed Sole Bundles with Vegetable and Tarragon
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
1 pound thin asparagus, cut tough edges off
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch matchsticks (approx.)
1 red onion, halved and sliced
2 TB unsalted butter, softened
3 TB minced fresh tarragon or dill
1/2 shallot, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 ts lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
salt and pepper
8 small skinless sole fillets
2 lemons or oranges, sliced thin
1. Fit a large Dutch Oven with a steamer basket. Fill the pot with water until it just touches the bottom of the basket. Bring water to a boil.
2. Add asparagus, carrots, and onion to basket, cover and steam until tender (5 minutes). Remove steamer basket of veggies from the pot. Rinse until cool, pat dry. Keep pot covered so steam water remains warm.
WHILE VEGGIES ARE STEAMING:
1. Mix butter, 2 TB tarragon, shallot, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, 1/8 ts salt, pinch of pepper.
2. Pat sole dry with paper towels, season with salt and pepper. Spread 1 ts of tarragon butter over each fillet. Lay some of the steamed vegetables across the wider end of each piece of fish. Roll the fish up around the vegetables into tidy bundles.
3. Lay lemon or orange to cover bottom of steamer basket (inside Dutch oven). Place fish bundles on top of sliced fruit, seam side down. Sprinkle fish with remaining 1 TB of tarragon. Lay lemon/orange of top of each fish.
4. Bring the water in the Dutch oven to a boil. Cover and steam the fish until it flakes apart with gently prodded with a knife (about 7 minutes).
5. Using a spatula, gently transfer fish bundles (discard fruit) to individual plates. Dot each fish with remaining tarragon butter.
Best Products to use with this recipe:
The following recipe was found in The Best of America’s Test Kitchen 2007: The Year’s Best Recipes, Equipment Reviews, and Tastings
Creamy Skillet Penne with Mushrooms and Asparagus
1 tablespoon olive oil
10 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
1 shallot, minced
1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, rinsed and minced
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
6 garlic cloves, minced
3 1/2 cups water
1 cup heavy cream
8 ounces penne
1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch lengths
1 ounce parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
1. Heat oil in a 12 inch skillet over high heat. When oil is hot add the white mushrooms and pinch of salt. Cook until mushrooms are browned (about 8 minutes).
2. Stir in shallot, porcini, and thyme. Cook until shallots are soft (1 minute). Stir in garlic and cook 30 seconds.
3. Stir in water, cream, and penne. Increase the heat to high and cook, stirring often until the penne is almost tender (12-15 minutes). Add the asparagus and cook 3 minutes.
4. Turn off heat, stir in parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.