Chickpea Patties with Caramalized Onions
***I paired mine with a spinach salad with avocado, corn and a simple vinaigrette***
Prep. Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
1 TB olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 TB ground cumin
2 (10 1/2 oz.) cans chickpeas, drained
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cup chickpea flour
2 TB butter
1 onion, sliced
3 ts brown sugar
1. Heat olive oil over high heat in saute pan. When pan and oil are hot, add onion and cook until clear.
2. Add garlic and cumin and cook 1 minute more.
3. Remove from heat.
4. In a food processor, blend chickpeas, egg and onion mixture until smooth. Fold in chickpea flour.
5. With floured hands, divide mixture into eight portions and form into patties.
6. Heat 1/2 inch of frying oil in frying pan. Fry patties in batches.
7. Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and drain on paper towel. Keep patties warm in the oven.
8. When you are finished cooking the patties, melt butter in frying pan. Cook sliced onions over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the sugar and cook 1 minute more.
9. Place two patties on each plate and top with caramelized onions.