Collard greens are one of my favorite vegetables. The only trouble is that I have a hard time finding a way to make them other than cooking them all day with some vinegar. Here is what I have come up with.
Collard Green with Tomatoes and Garlic Cheese Bread
Prep. Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
1 TB olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 16 oz. bag frozen collard greens
4 Roma tomatoes, sliced
Juice of one lemon
1 ts garlic powder
1/2 ts mustard powder
1 TB apple cider vinegar
1/2 ts hot sauce
Garlic Cheese Bread
4 slices bread
1 cup shredded cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 TB olive oil
Start with the bread:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Combine garlic and oil. Brush equally on to the bread.
3. Top with shredded cheese.
4. Bake in oven for 5-10 minutes.
Greens with Tomatoes:
1. Place collard greens in microwave safe bowl and microwave for 3 minutes.
2. Heat oil in large skillet over high heat. When oil is hot, add onions. Cook for 3 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes and collard greens to skillet and stir. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add the remaining ingredients and cook for 7-10 more minutes or until the liquid evaporates.
This week’s recipes is heavy on the canned goods.Â I’m a fan of using canned and frozen goods as often as possible.Â That means less trips to the grocery store for me and more money in my pocket at the end of the week!
Vegetarian Simple and Fast Beans and Rice Tacos
Vegetarian Chickpea and Tomato Soup with Dumplings
Vegan Quinoa with Collard Greens and Bacon
Chicken Tikka Masala with Rice
Vegan Lentil Burgers with Samosa Stuffing
For a PDF version of this shopping list CLICK HERE.
This is a super quick and really easy recipe.Â It combines two of my favorite ingredients, quinoa and collard greens. It is a healthy, quick, and simple dish.
Quinoa with Collard Greens and Bacon
Total Time: 20 minutes
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 tsp. olive oil
4 slices bacon, sliced and diced in 1/4-inch pieces
1/2 onion, chopped
2Â cupsÂ chicken stock
1 TB sage
2 TB chives and parsley, chopped
salt and pepper
2 cups frozen collard greens
2-3 Tbs Water
1 Pinch Salt
1 tsp Lime Juice
1.Â Rinse quinoa in a strainer.
2.Â Heat oil in medium pot and add bacon. Cook bacon 2 minutes, stirring constantly.Â Add onions and stir over medium heat for 1 minute.Â Add rinsed quinoa, chicken stock, salt and sage. Bring to a boil.
3. Add collard greens and lime juice to pot.Â Turn down to a low simmer; cover and cook for 17 minutes.
4.Â When quinoa is cooked let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.