Save this recipe for a night when you really DO NOT want to cook. It is made up of ingredients I usually have on hand anyway.
English Muffin Pizza
Prep. Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
4 English Muffins
1 (14 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 TB thyme
1 TB oregano
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 TB olive oil
1 bag (16 oz.) frozen green beans
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 ts salt
1/2 ts black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Break your 4 english muffins in half and place them on baking sheet.
3. Top each muffin with tomato sauce, then cheese.
4. Bake in oven for 15 minutes.
5. While you pizza bakes, microwave your green beans in a bowl (w/ a little bit of water) for 3 minutes. Drain.
6. Heat skillet with 2 TB olive oil. Add green beans, stir and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes.
I have no idea how I managed to get my total to $38 this week! I love saving money while not skimping on flavor. This week is full of delicious vegetable combinations, one skillet meals and a bit of a gourmet edge. You may want to slip some of these ones into your pocket for your next dinner party.
Vegetarian Zucchini Frittata
Vegetarian Sweet Potato Ravioli in Garlic Cream Sauce
Vegetarian Pesto Pasta with Green Beans
Vegetarian Vegetable Hashbrowns
Chicken in Leek Lime Sauce with Carrot Quinoa </a ***This weeks favorite***
Click HERE for a pdf version of this week’s shopping list.
Have a great week!
Happy eating, cooking, and saving!
Pesto tends to be expensive both to buy or make. I used walnuts instead of pinenuts for this recipe and saved a little bit of cash without changing the flavor too much. This recipe can be eaten warm for dinner or cold for a picnic or lunch!
Pesto Pasta with Geen Beans
Prep. Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
8 oz. pasta of your choice
8 oz. fresh or frozen green beans
1/2 cup walnuts
3 bunches basil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
3 garlic cloves
3/4 cup olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread walnut on baking sheet and bake 8 minutes. Let cool.
2. Combine all ingredients except oil in a food processor. Turn processor on and slowly drizzle oil into mixture as it mixes and smooths.
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 TB salt and pasta. Cook according to package directions. If using fresh beans, add them after letting pasta cook for two minutes. If using frozen green beans, either cook in the microwave or add to pasta when 5 minutes remain for your pasta to cook.
2. Drain pasta and green beans. Mix with pesto and serve.
One skillet meals are my best friend most nights. I have started adding eggs to my vegetarian meals to give them a little bit more substance. It seems to be working and adds and extra deliciousness!
Green beans, Potatoes and Eggs for Dinner.
Prep. Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
2 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced
2 TB olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups frozen green beans
1/4 ts crushed red pepper
Pinch of paprika and cayenne
salt and pepper to taste
4 large eggs, cracked into one small bowl
1. Place potatoes in a stock pot, cover with water, place lid on pot; cook over high heat until water starts to boil. Lower heat to medium and cook potatoes until tender (easy to stick a fork in them-usually takes about 7-10 minutes.)
2. In the meantime steam your frozen green beans according to the bag; either in the stove top or in the microwave (I haven’t noticed much of a difference between the too options).
3. When potatoes are boiled, heat oil in a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot add the onion to the skillet.
4. Cook the onions until translucent and a bit browned; then add the potatoes and garlic; cook 5 minutes with frequent stirring.
5. Add the green beans, crushed red pepper, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper. Mix well.
6. Add each egg right on top of the veggies.
7. Cover and cook over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes