I have no idea how I managed to get my total to $38 this week! I love saving money while not skimping on flavor. This week is full of delicious vegetable combinations, one skillet meals and a bit of a gourmet edge. You may want to slip some of these ones into your pocket for your next dinner party.
Vegetarian Zucchini Frittata
Vegetarian Sweet Potato Ravioli in Garlic Cream Sauce
Vegetarian Pesto Pasta with Green Beans
Vegetarian Vegetable Hashbrowns
Chicken in Leek Lime Sauce with Carrot Quinoa </a ***This weeks favorite***
Click HERE for a pdf version of this week’s shopping list.
Have a great week!
Happy eating, cooking, and saving!
This is sort of a breakfast for dinner recipe. A bit of a twist on your regular potato hashbrowns, this recipe is a great recipe to get your daily fill of vegetables in one sitting. I think the zucchini gives the hashbrowns a unique texture and flavor. Perhaps in the near future I will experiment with using different vegetable combinations.
Prep. Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
3 TB all purpose flour
4 TB olive oil
1. Grate potatoes, carrots, and zucchini. Thinly slice white part of leek.
2. Place grated veggies in strainer and squeeze out as much water as possible.
3. Move to mixing bowl and add leek and flour; mix well.
4. Beat eggs in separate dish, then add to mixing bowl.
5. Divide mixture into 8 equal portions.
6. Heat up oil in skillet. Grab 1 veggie portion, squeeze out excess water, form into patty and carefully add to hot oil.
7. Cook over high to medium heat about 3 to 5 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towel.
8. Repeat and serve.
*** You can keep your cooked patties warm on a baking sheet in the oven while your cook the remaining patties.
I re-discovered the deliciousness of leeks this week. This recipe is a wonderful combination of a variety of flavors. I don’t really know how to classify it; it has a sort of Mediterranean taste to it.
Chicken in Leek Lime Sauce with Carrot Rice
Total time: 30 minutes
4 TB olive oil
3 carrots, peeled and grated
1 cup quinoa
3 cups chicken stock
1 ts dried thyme
zest and juice of 2 limes
2 chicken breasts, sliced
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 ts red pepper flakes
1 ts ground coriander
2 leeks, sliced
2 TB butter
1. Heat medium skillet over high heat. When pan is hot add olive oil. Add carrots, salt and pepper. Stir and cook 1 minutes.
2. Add quinoa to skillet and mix well. Add 2 1/2 cups chicken stock. Bring stock to a boil, cover, reduce heat and cook 10 minutes.
3. Combine 2 TB olive oil, thyme, lime zest, salt and pepper. Coat chicken with mixture.
4. Heat large skillet over high heat. Add chicken and cook 5 minutes on each side. Transfer to plate and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
5. Using same skillet, heat up 2 TB olive oil. Add garlic, red pepper flakes and coriander. Cook and stir 1 minute. Add leeks and cook 1 minute. Add lime juice and 1/2 cup chicken stock; cook 2 more minutes.
6. Turn off heat and add butter.
7. Divide carrot rice among 4 plates. Place sliced chicken on top of rice. Top chicken with Leek Lime Sauce.
1 1/2 cups chicken Stock
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup golden raisins
1 1/2 cups plain couscous
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts, sliced thinly
salt and pepper
1 large leek
1 cup red wine vinager
1 handful of fresh parsley, chopped
1. Heat the chicken stock and 1 tablespoon of the butter in a medium pot with a tight fitting lid.
2. When the liquid begins to boil add the raisins and couscous and take the pot of the heat.
3. Stir the couscous and place the lid on the pot. Let it stand.
4. Heat a non-stick skillet over high heat and add the olive oil. Add chicken in a single layer and season with salt and pepper.
WHILE CHICKEN IS BROWNING ON BOTH SIDES:
5. Cut the leeks in half lenghwise, then into 1 inch half moons.
6. Place leeks in colander and run them under cold water to clean.
7. Add the leeks to the chicken and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Lower heat and add red wine vinegar. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the remaining tablespoon of butter and stir into sauce.
8. Add parsley to couscous and mix it in.
9. Place couscous on plate and top with chicken and leeks.