Cauliflower, Potato and Mushroom Curry
Slow Cooker Recipe
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 inch piece ginger, minced
1/4 pound mushrooms, sliced
1 head cauliflower,cut into small florets
1 potato, diced
1 – 14 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup coconut milk
2 ts cumin
2 ts curry
1 TB thyme
1/2 ts coriander
2 ts tumeric
1/4 ts cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper, to taste
Cilantro, optional, to garnish
1. Boil potato and cauliflower in water until just tender.
2. Set Crock pot to low. Add chickpeas, spices, coconut milk, and steamed potato and cauliflower.
3. Saute onion for five minutes, or until translucent. Add the garlic and ginger; cook for two minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until tender. Add this mixture to the crock pot.
4. Cook on LOW at least 1 hour, no more than 3 hours.
5. Serve over rice or by itself.
Mushroom Curry with Rice
Total Time: 30 minutes
1 lb Mushrooms, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
2-3 tsp fennel seeds
1 inch cinnamon stick
2 ts ginger paste (or finely minced)
2 ts garlic paste (or finely minced)
2 ts black pepper
1/2 ts red chilli powder
1/4 ts turmeric powder
1/2 cup coriander leaves, chopped
5 ts oil
salt to taste
1. Grind cinnamon, fennel seeds & clove to fine powder in a mixer.
2. Heat oil in a pan, add the above powder, ginger and garlic paste; fry for a minute in low flame.
3. Add chopped onions. Saute until golden brown.
4. Add chopped tomatoes. Continue to saute until oil separates from it. Add pepper, chili & turmeric powder; mix well.
5. Add mushrooms and 1/4 cup of water and salt; mix well. Cover the pan; let simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
6. Uncover when mushrooms are cooked. Keep stirring for few minutes until all the water evaporates and it becomes a thick gravy.
7. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
8. Serve with rice.
The following recipe was found in The Best of America’s Test Kitchen 2007: The Year’s Best Recipes, Equipment Reviews, and Tastings
Creamy Skillet Penne with Mushrooms and Asparagus
1 tablespoon olive oil
10 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
1 shallot, minced
1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, rinsed and minced
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
6 garlic cloves, minced
3 1/2 cups water
1 cup heavy cream
8 ounces penne
1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch lengths
1 ounce parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
1. Heat oil in a 12 inch skillet over high heat. When oil is hot add the white mushrooms and pinch of salt. Cook until mushrooms are browned (about 8 minutes).
2. Stir in shallot, porcini, and thyme. Cook until shallots are soft (1 minute). Stir in garlic and cook 30 seconds.
3. Stir in water, cream, and penne. Increase the heat to high and cook, stirring often until the penne is almost tender (12-15 minutes). Add the asparagus and cook 3 minutes.
4. Turn off heat, stir in parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.