This week’s recipes is heavy on the canned goods.Â I’m a fan of using canned and frozen goods as often as possible.Â That means less trips to the grocery store for me and more money in my pocket at the end of the week!
Vegetarian Simple and Fast Beans and Rice Tacos
Vegetarian Chickpea and Tomato Soup with Dumplings
Vegan Quinoa with Collard Greens and Bacon
Chicken Tikka Masala with Rice
Vegan Lentil Burgers with Samosa Stuffing
For a PDF version of this shopping list CLICK HERE.
This is a great go to recipe on nights when you are tempted to just eat a bowl of cereal. There are only 4 ingredients and they take about 20 minutes to prepare with little attention and effort.
Simple and Fast Bean and Rice Tacos
Total Time: 20 minutes
2 cups rice
1 can ( 15 oz) kidney beans
16 corn tortillas
1 cup shredded cheese
1. Cook rice on stove top or in rice cooker.
2. When rice is about finished heat up your kidney beans on the stove top.
3. Wrap corn tortillas in a wet paper towel or dish rag. Microwave for 30 seconds, flip and microwave 30 seconds more. Keep following this process until tortillas are hot enough.
4. To assemble: Grab 4 tortillas, use 2 tortillas for each taco. Sprinkle cheese on tortilla, add spoonful of rice, spoonful of beans. Fold over tacos. I like to add ranch and hot sauce for a bit more flavor!
My husband gave me a night off this week and made one of my favorite dishes.Â His goal has been to learn how to make Chicken Tikka Masala using asÂ many canned goods as possible (so that he can make it on a whim when he feels like it).Â Well, he did it and it is fabulous!
So, here’s his recipe:
Chicken Tikka Masala with Rice
Prep. Time:Â 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
2 TB Olive oil
1/2 ts of the following spices:
1 dried red chili pepper, minced
1 onion, diced
2 chicken breasts, chopped
1 can tomato sauce
1/3 can condensed milk
1 ts tomato paste
2 cups rice
1/2 ts tumeric
1. Cook your rice in a rice cooker. Add tumeric to the water.
2. Heat olive oil in deep dish skillet. Add all of your spices. Cook 30 seconds.
3. Add your onions and stir. Cook 3 minutes until translucent.
4. Add chicken breasts to skillet. Let cook 5 minutes; stirring occasionally.
5. Add tomato sauce; stir frequently. When the sauce begins to boil, add evaporated milk.
6. Continue stirring the sauce until sauce boils again.
7. Add tomato paste and stir until your sauce reaches the desired consistency.
8. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning to your taste.
9. Serve Tikka Masala over tumeric rice.
Fried Egg with Rice and Tomato Sauce
*My host mom made this dish for me when I lived in Spain. One of my husband’s favorites. One of my favorites when I have about 20 minutes to make dinner.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes.
3 cups of rice
2 cans tomato sauce
2 Tb olive oil
1.Steam rice in rice cooker or stove top.
2.Heat cans of tomato sauce in sauce pan.
3.Fry eggs in olive oil in saute pan.
4.Place rice evenly in four bowls. Cover rice with tomato sauce. Place one fried egg in each bowl.
Mushroom Curry with Rice
Total Time: 30 minutes
1 lb Mushrooms, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
2-3 tsp fennel seeds
1 inch cinnamon stick
2 ts ginger paste (or finely minced)
2 ts garlic paste (or finely minced)
2 ts black pepper
1/2 ts red chilli powder
1/4 ts turmeric powder
1/2 cup coriander leaves, chopped
5 ts oil
salt to taste
1. Grind cinnamon, fennel seeds & clove to fine powder in a mixer.
2. Heat oil in a pan, add the above powder, ginger and garlic paste; fry for a minute in low flame.
3. Add chopped onions. Saute until golden brown.
4. Add chopped tomatoes. Continue to saute until oil separates from it. Add pepper, chili & turmeric powder; mix well.
5. Add mushrooms and 1/4 cup of water and salt; mix well. Cover the pan; let simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
6. Uncover when mushrooms are cooked. Keep stirring for few minutes until all the water evaporates and it becomes a thick gravy.
7. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
8. Serve with rice.
Easy Chicken and Rice
1 pound chicken, chopped into bite sized pieces
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 can (14 ounces) chicken broth
2 cups uncooked regular long-grain white rice
1/2 ts paprika
1/2 ts ground black pepper
1 cup cheese, shredded
1. Mix all ingredients (except cheese) and place in a 2-quart shallow baking dish.
2. Cover and bake 375Â°F. for 30 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with cheese and bake another 15 minutes.
Prep. Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
6 cups veggie stock
2 zucchini, sliced 3/4 inch thick
1 bunch asparagus, cut 1 inch length
3 oz. snow peas, cut in half
2 TB olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups short grain rice
2 small tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1.Place chicken stock into pan. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and keep at a simmer.
2. Boil two cups of water. Place asparagus, zucchini, and snow peas in a heat proof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Let stand 2 minutes.
Drain. Refresh with cold water; drain.
3. Heat oil in a heavy-based pan. Add onion, stir over medium heat until golden; add rice. Reduce heat to medium, stir rice for 3 minutes. Add quarter of simmering stock to the pan; stir constantly for 7 minutes, until stock is absorbed.
4. Repeat this process until all but 1/2 cup of stock has been used. Add vegetables, tomatoes and remaining stock; stir for 5 minutes. Stir in parmesan. Serve immediately.